[texhax] The \/ control sequence

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at fastwebnet.it
Tue May 25 00:29:24 CEST 2010

> I've discovered one use for the \/ macro i.e. used in transition from
> a \sl or \it to \rm.

As I remember, that IS its true use.

> I understand it's something to do with the spacing between the last
> \it or \sl char and the first \rm char. A few keywords as to the real
> impact of the macro would be really appreciated.
> Are there other uses for the \/ control sequence?

Yes, it simply adds a little more space to "look better".  That is, the
spacing between words in \it or \sl is reduced w.r.t. \rm because the space
too is actually slanted, as it were.  So a touch more is needed when
followed by a non \it or \sl.

It could be used anywhere where slightly more space might be desirable, but
to be kosher one might prefer \, or some more specific \hspace{...} in other
situations.

Cheers,  Phil