[texhax] \input command under Linux

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Mon May 3 19:02:45 CEST 2010

I just tried the following on my OpenSuse linux which works ok:

\input{/home/sjs/TEMP/AAMacros}

One thing I noticed though is that when latex can't find a file it spits
out a message:

! LaTeX Error: File `/home/sjs/TEMP/AAMacros.tex' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: tex)

so you might try renaming your file AAMacros.tex in case your tex
installation automatically insists on the .tex extension in filenames.

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 14:08 +0100, Lars Madsen wrote:
> Might be an idea not to use full paths but instead add the directory
> to the list of directories where TeX search for files, and then just
> use
>
> \input{AAMacros}

That would be my recommendation too. I put all my own macros and
packages in a directory and then set the TEXINPUTS environment variable
in my shell, e.g. the following line in my .cshrc file:

setenv TEXINPUTS .:/home/sjs/LATEX//:

(the trailing // will make tex descend recursively down any
sub-directories). If you use bash you'll need to use export instead of
setenv or whatever in your .profile file

HTH

Steve
Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M67A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs