[texhax] Changing papersize

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Mar 24 01:10:04 CET 2010

On 23 March 2010 Michael Barr wrote:

 > On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
 >
 > > I see a page number, Michael, after processing with
 > > PdfLaTeX and viewing with Adobe Acrobat 7.0
 > >
 > > ** Phil.
 > > --------
 > > Michael Barr wrote:
 > >
 > >>  \documentclass[legalpaper]{article}
 > >>  \pagestyle{plain}
 > >>  \textheight 9in
 > >>  \begin{document}
 > >>  Test
 > >>  \end{document}
 > >
 > Well, that's odd, I had tried that and just did again and it didn't
 > work.

Please don't forget that [legalpaper] doesn't have any effect unless
you are using any package which makes use of it.

I fear that you and Phil get different results because Phil's TeX
system defaults to A4 and yours defaults to letter.

A4 is taller than letter, this explains why Phil sees the page number.

If you both add the line

  \usepackage{geometry}

you should get same results.

Regards,