[texhax] more on math rendering for the web (including Microsoft Word Symbol font and TeX for web)

Deyan Ginev d.ginev at jacobs-university.de
Mon Jun 28 13:47:01 CEST 2010

On 06/28/2010 06:09 AM, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Dan Doernberg wrote:
>
>> Reinhrad, Brandon

>>    1. Would it be trivial or difficult for our software to render TeX
>> input documents for the Web? Would LaTeX and/or other variants be the
>> same?
>>

> For simple documents, this should be straightforward.. but TeX is very
> complicated and LaTeX has tons of specialized packages, so getting the
> details to work can be problematic.  The old standby is latex2html but it
> seems to be unmaintained: http://www.latex2html.org/

latex2html is probably not the recommendation to make anymore,
especially since MathML came along. There are a few actively developed
and maintained tools which already have a very wide coverage of LaTeX's
capabilities. To name a few:

1. LaTeXML
http://dlmf.nist.gov/LaTeXML/
2. TeX4HT
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/TeX4ht/
3. Ttm
  http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/mml/

LaTeXML and TeX4HT can also produce images, if MathML is not a popular
choice for your setting.

> There are plenty of programs which will render TeX fragments on-demand on
> the server side.  All you need is a local TeX distribution (texlive is
> common on linux systems; MikTeX on Windows; MacTeX on mac) and something
> like:
>
> http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/tex.htm
>
> to render for the web. [this looks like a port to rails:
> http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/latex_render_helper ]

Just as a note, there is already a server version of LaTeXML, which one
can use locally, or deploy as a web service, which can also serve this
purpose. Could be interesting if you actually want to webify your
formulas and have them in MathML (which makes them interactive and
searchable).

Kind regards,
Deyan Ginev