[texhax] more on math rendering for the web (including Microsoft Word Symbol font and TeX for web)

Dan Doernberg dan at fairness.com
Mon Jun 28 14:17:17 CEST 2010

Deyan--- thank you for this additional information... will share this with the team.

I had hoped the TeX community had developed an automated tool of some kind to catch and fix Symbol font problems, but it sounds like it's a manual process for you... oh well!

--- dan
////////////////

On Jun 28, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Deyan Ginev wrote:

> On 06/28/2010 06:09 AM, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Dan Doernberg wrote:
>>
>>> Reinhrad, Brandon

>>>   1. Would it be trivial or difficult for our software to render TeX
>>> input documents for the Web? Would LaTeX and/or other variants be the
>>> same?
>>>

>> For simple documents, this should be straightforward.. but TeX is very
>> complicated and LaTeX has tons of specialized packages, so getting the
>> details to work can be problematic.  The old standby is latex2html but it
>> seems to be unmaintained: http://www.latex2html.org/
>>

> latex2html is probably not the recommendation to make anymore, especially since MathML came along. There are a few actively developed and maintained tools which already have a very wide coverage of LaTeX's capabilities. To name a few:
>
> 1. LaTeXML
> http://dlmf.nist.gov/LaTeXML/
> 2. TeX4HT
> http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/TeX4ht/
> 3. Ttm
> http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/mml/
>
> LaTeXML and TeX4HT can also produce images, if MathML is not a popular choice for your setting.
>
>> There are plenty of programs which will render TeX fragments on-demand on
>> the server side.  All you need is a local TeX distribution (texlive is
>> common on linux systems; MikTeX on Windows; MacTeX on mac) and something
>> like:
>>
>> http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/tex.htm
>>
>> to render for the web. [this looks like a port to rails:
>> http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/latex_render_helper ]

> Just as a note, there is already a server version of LaTeXML, which one can use locally, or deploy as a web service, which can also serve this purpose. Could be interesting if you actually want to webify your formulas and have them in MathML (which makes them interactive and searchable).
>
> Kind regards,
> Deyan Ginev

Dan Doernberg, President
Fairness.com LLC
Email:  dan at fairness.com
Web:    http://www.fairness.com
Phone/Fax: 434-975-0780
"Life isn't fair... but we're working on it."®

NowComment® <http://nowcomment.com/>
Turning Documents into ConversationsSM