[texhax] LaTeX

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Jun 25 07:38:58 CEST 2010

On  24 Jun, 2010, at 12:56, Jonathan Moore wrote:

> Dear Support,
> I am a freelance editor and I specialize in editing financial papers. A lot of the authors use LaTeX for their papers. Some seem to have no problem converting to Word but some do. Do you have or can you recommend an editing program compatible with LaTeX. I have a PC with Windows XP home edition.

I don't quite understand what you want in the end ---do you want to convert LaTeX files to Word and then use an application like InDesign or Quark to do the editing and final copy for printing and publishing? (As Torsten, I hope you don't.) Or do you want a LaTeX editor to work on those files and do all the pre-press? (I hope so.)

If the first, see here:

http://www.tug.org/utilities/texconv/textopc.html

If the latter, Alan mentioned some LaTeX editors for Windows; let me just give some addresses:

http://www.texniccenter.org/

http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/

http://www.winedt.com/

Emacs ---multiplatform and my favorite now on Linux and Mac--- has a steep learning curve:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

Also, there is a commercial application for Windows ---Scientific Word:

http://www.mackichan.com/

As I don't use Windows, I don't know much about it.

Best

Axel