[texhax] Font Size Question

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Tue Jun 22 20:33:45 CEST 2010

On  22 Jun, 2010, at 12:46, Thomas Jacobs wrote:

> Karl and Alex,
> Thanks very much for the replies.  The link Karl shared helps me to
> know that I cannot use tiny if my base font is 12 and I am limited to
> a minimum 7 pt size.

Yes, you can:

Normal size in 12pt. {\tiny This should be in 7pt}. And 12pt again.

> I used Alex' reply to navigate to the .clo files in the MikTeX
> distribution.  While I can see what he shared I must confess, I am
> unfamiliar with much of the code.
> What is the difference between bk12.clo and size12.clo?

See your log file ---book class uses bk12.clo; article, report and letter classes use size12.clo:

Document Class: book 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
File: bk12.clo 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX file (size option)

> How does one interpret @vipt vs. @viipt, for example?

6pt, 7pt