[texhax] Font Size Question

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Tue Jun 22 03:05:15 CEST 2010

On  21 Jun, 2010, at 16:44, Karl Berry wrote:

>    Thanks.  Can you tell me how you (or I) would know the defined font
>    sizes for a given class, like your book class example?  Where do you
>    look for such information, etc.  That is really what I need to know
>    but have been unable to decipher it myself.
> No guarantees, but I attempted to extract the size tables out of the
> sources at one point for the unofficial latex reference manual I work on
> from time to time.
> http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/latexrefman/trunk/latex2e.html#Font-sizes

Ah! This is good, not only for font sizes. (And, by the way, I made a mistake in my previous reply ---tiny size is 6pt as Karl Berry writes in said document, not 7pt as I said.)

As to where to look for this data, it is, in a TeXLive distribution, in

There you can look into bk10.clo, bk11.clo, bk12.clo, size10.clo, size11.clo, and size12.clo. As you might know, the first number is the font size, and the second the baseline skip; so, for example,

means tiny is 6pt in size with 7pt baseline skip (leading).