[texhax] biblatex and tex4ht

Eric Abrahamsen eric at ericabrahamsen.net
Sun Jun 20 11:02:24 CEST 2010

(sorry, might have sent a half-completed version of this by accident)

I know this question has been asked plenty of times before (because I've
been googling all day), but I've followed all the instructions I could
find, and I still can't get tex4ht to work with biblatex—it always tells
me that biblatex's commands are undefined.

I'm using TeX Live 2009/Debian on Ubuntu, with the newest version of
biblatex and an installation of tex4ht that I've patched according to
instructions here:

But still oolatex (I'm trying to get an odt file out of this) tells me
that citation commands (even something as simple as \cite) are

Using a test file called test.tex:

Hello, I want to \cite[p. 50]{jolly_contributions} right here.

and a test.bib file:

    author    = {Richard Jolly, et al.},
    title     = {UN Contributions to Development Thinking and Practice},
    year      = {2004},
    publisher = {Indiana University Press},

and running:
mk4ht oolatex test.tex

I get the following error:

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/tex4ht/ooffice-mml.4ht)) (./test.aux) (./test.bbl
! Undefined control sequence.
\blx at begunit ...blx at postpunct \blx at resetpuncthook
                                                  \iftoggle {blx at tempa} {} {...
l.7 ... want to \cite[p. 50]{jolly_contributions}
                                                  right here.

And there it dies.

I've got log files galore, and would be happy to provide any more
details if anyone thought they might have a solution to this…