[texhax] Book format with article-style headings

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed Jun 2 10:24:10 CEST 2010

De Presbytero wrote:
> Dear good people of Texhax,
> I am trying to typeset a 'documentclass{book}' document that will have
> article-style headings. In other words, no 'chapter' option, just section,
> subsection, and subsubsection.
> But I am afraid matters aren't all that simple. What I am working on is a
> critical edition of a text. For convenience I will call this text AA. Text
> AA is preceded by a few chapters in which I explain what text AA is. I want
> these opening chapters to appear in standard 'book' format, with the usual
> book-style headings. But I want the second element in my work, namely text
> AA, to appear in 'book' format with article-style headings. And I want to do
> all this without using package 'fancyhdr'.
> Does anyone have any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Roy

might be a lot easier to do this with the memoir class which can be seen
as a dropin replacement for book. It has a much better page style
support, and the styles are very easy make. In your case something like

    \clearmark{chapter} % we do not want chapter data
    \createmark{section}{both}{shownumber}{}{. \ } % write to both
    \createmark{subsection}{both}{shownumber}{}{. \ }
    \createmark{subsubsection}{both}{shownumber}{}{. \ }

then activate mystyle at the point where you need the change.