[texhax] use of \rightskip

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 09:52:17 CEST 2010

Paul Isambert said the following at 07/29/2010 01:06 AM :
> Selon "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans at gmail.com>:
>

>> \def\subchapter#1%
>> {{\noindent\subchapnamefont  #1}
>> %{{\noindent\subchapnamefont\raggedright\hyphenchar\subchapnamefont=-1  #1}
>> %{{\noindent\subchapnamefont\hyphenchar\subchapnamefont=-1\rightskip=0pt
>> plus1fil {#1}}
>> \bigskip
>> }
>>

> That's easy then. The paragraph ends with \bigskip, outside the group where
> assignments are made to produce raggedright. Hence it retains the values set
> before the group. Just move \bigskip inside the group.

[etc.]

Thank you very much. I always have trouble understanding how to group \par
and the various \<xxx>skip commands properly, and this time for some reason
I never even considered trying it inside the group.

I think that maybe the penny just dropped, with what you said: as a
practical matter, values aren't set at the point where the command occurs,
so that they apply to what follows; rather, what matters is their value at
the time when the paragraph is typeset, which may be much later. Which
makes perfect sense, but it somehow had never been clear to me before.

Thanks for the other comments too. Very helpful.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR