[texhax] Formatting my resume: Eliminating vertical space before lists

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 18:56:55 CEST 2010

On 07/27/2010 12:05 PM, Lars Madsen wrote:
> Joel C. Salomon wrote:
>>     \documentclass{article}
>>     \usepackage{tabularx}
>>
>>     \begin{document}
>>     \begin{tabularx}{468bp}{r@{\hspace{8bp}} p{396bp}}
>>     Objective & A career-track position in Electrical Engineering \\
>>     Skills & \begin{list}{}{
>>         \setlength{\topsep}{0pt}
>>         \setlength{\partopsep}{\topsep}
>>         \setlength{\leftmargin}{0pt}
>>         \setlength{\rightmargin}{\leftmargin}}
>>     \item Exposure to advanced Control Systems techniques
>>         including Kalman filtering.
>>     \item Experience with real-time, embedded, and
>>         device-driver programming techniques.
>>     \end{list} \\
>>     References & Available upon request.
>>     \end{tabularx}
>>     \end{document}
>>
>> I'd like to completely eliminate the extra vertical space before & after
>> the list environment....  Is this possible with the list environment, or
>> with any of its relatives & clones?
>
> have a look at enumitem

Enumitem makes it easier to set the various lengths, but doesn't seem to
help me with what I want.  Using enumitem, as thus:
	\documentclass{article}
	\usepackage{tabularx}
	\usepackage{enumitem}

	\begin{document}
	\begin{tabularx}{468bp}{r@{\hspace{8bp}} p{396bp}}
	Objective & A career-track position in Electrical Engineering \\
	Skills & \begin{itemize}[label={},
		topsep=0pt, partopsep=0pt,
		itemsep=0pt, parsep=0pt,
		leftmargin=0pt]
		\item Exposure to advanced Control Systems techniques
			including Kalman filtering.
		\item Experience with real-time, embedded, and
			device-driver programming techniques.
		\end{itemize}\\
	References & Available upon request.
	\end{tabularx}
	\end{document}
gives me much the same result as before.

I had been planning to wrap list in an environment of my own; perhaps I
need to define this environment on its own terms?

--Joel