[texhax] Serbian Cyrillic characters

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 04:10:22 CET 2010

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> Sorry, I submitted the last mail accidentally before it was finished.
>

> On 26 January 2010 Pierre MacKay wrote:
>
>  > On 01/25/2010 10:21 PM, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>  > > Reinhard Kotucha<reinhard.kotucha at web.de>  wrote:
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >>    Options ->  Mule ->  select input method ->  vietnamese-viqr
>  > >>
>  > >> I can enter Vietnamese characters on a pure ASCII keyboard (in VIQR)
>  > >> conveniently: When I type "Ha` No^.i", I see "H?? N???i" on screen.
>  > >>
>  > >> Emacs provides an input-method called "cyrillic-serbian".  I must
>  > >> admit that I don't know how to use it, though.
>  > >>
>  > >>
>  > > Thank you so much for the info. I must admit that using Emacs is
>  > > against my religion.  I use nvi which does support Unicode since 2000
>  > > or so but I have never used it. It is probably also obvious that I do
>  > > not use Linux. I am an OpenBSD guy.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > Surely there is an emacs distribution for BSD.  There certainly was one
>  > in pre-Solaris days for Sun Microsystems and also for Vaxen.
>
> Of course, but this is obviously a religious problem.  I don't want to
> evangelize anybody, I'm not religious in this respect at all.  But
> though I bought a book about vi already, I was often too lazy to
> investigate how to do things in vi because I already knew how to do it
> in Emacs.  Thus, I can understand that someone who is using vi for
> years doesn't want to switch to another editor.
>
> Modern variants of vi are very powerful too.  And, as far as I can
> see, some of them support Unicode already.  The question is how to
> enter characters not supported by the keyboard.
>
> Everybody in Vietnam is using a US keyboard, there are no dedicated
> keyboards for Vietnamese.  I've seen that a friend of mine who was
> running a Vietnamese Linux distribution could switch between European
> and Vietnamese within his GUI.  I suppose that there is a way to
> customize X11's keyboard interface.  The advantage is that all
> programs benefit from it.  But please don't ask me for details, I'm
> not familiar with X11 at all.

man xmodmap

The thing is that I do not want to change my keyboard layout as English
is my main language of communication. All of my keyboards are U.S.
If I ever go back to live in Serbia I will probably get a keyboard with
Serbian alphabet layout as I had 15 years ago before moving to U.S.

Thanks,
Predrag

P.S. Of course that Emacs and Auctex are ported to all BSDs and
particularly OpenBSD. I personally do not use any editors except
nvi and ex/ed but many people do.