[texhax] Swedish - åäö

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Jan 22 01:55:18 CET 2010

On  21 Jan, 2010, at 13:06, Jan Öhman wrote:

> Thank you (every one)!
>
> This solution feels good :-)
> and works for me
> \usepackage[swedish]{babel}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

Don't forget about \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} that Andree recommended ---as I was taught years ago in the TeX on Mac OS X mailing list, it helps a lot with the hyphenation of accented words.

Besides the books recommended to you in another list, see this page in the TeX Users Group:

http://www.tug.org/begin.html

(And, by the way, "A Guide to LaTeX" was a turning point for me ---now "The LaTeX Companion" is my main reference, but I learnt LaTeX with Kopka & Daly's book. Also, though not mentioned in the above list, "Math into LaTeX" ---now "More Math Into LaTeX"---, by George Grätzer, has been very useful.)

India's TeX User Group has excellent on-line manuals as well:

http://www.tug.org.in/tutorials.html

I see you decided for utf8 as your input encoding ---I think it's the best. But you should be aware that your (La)TeX editor has to know that you're using that encoding ---that is, there has to be a correspondence between how you input your characters into your editor and what you tell LaTeX to use.

The cross-platform editors I know of, namely, TeXworks

http://www.tug.org/texworks/

and TeXmaker

http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/

use UTF-8 by default. If you want to use another encoding ---say, latin1---, you have to tell *both* LaTeX *and* your editor to use that encoding.

Best,

Axel