[texhax] Swedish - åäö

Axel Freyn axel-freyn at gmx.de
Thu Jan 21 19:23:35 CET 2010

Hello Jan,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 04:49:25PM +0100, Jan Öhman wrote:
> I found an answer, but I don't know if it is the only way :-)
> (the right way)
>
> å  => \aa
> Å => \AA
> ä  => \"a
> Ä => \"A
> ö  => \"o
> Ö => \"O
yes, that's a possible way. However, there is another, maybe nicer one;-)
You can type them directly - and LaTeX and PdfLaTeX will understand them
- when you use the package "inputenc". However, there you have to be
careful: As the binary values of those characters depend on the file
encoding (iso8859-1,latin15,UTF-8,...):
 - you have to tell LaTeX which encoding you are using (by an parameter
   to "inputenc": for example, "\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}" tells him
   to assume UTF-8 encoding
 - when you exchange the tex-file by eMail with someone else, the
   encoding has to be conserved (that SHOULD be the case, however there
   exist some Mail-programs which don't do it automatically; so at least
   you should know the problem...)

Axel