[texhax] BibTeX: linebreaks in cites [natbib] and institution-as-author [apalike]

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sun Jan 17 01:31:58 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'm using LaTeX, BibTeX, and elbow grease to put together a beautiful
document.  I'm using natbib to handle citations and the apalike
bibliography style.  I've encountered two bibtex questions that stump me:

1- at least one of my citations containing (Name and Othername, year)
creates an overfull hbox problem, with Othername sticking out into
the right margin.  Why doesn't it just linebreak after Name?

2- Several of my citations are to documents written by governments,
instutitons, or consortia.  Rather than list these as "Anonymous" authors,
I would like the institution name to appear as the author.  The problem
is, e.g., if I list the author as {{US} Environmental Protection Agency}
in the bibliography file, then this shows up in the bibliography as:

Agency, U. E. P.

which is clearly not suitable.  How can I escape author-formatting for
these bibitems so that they appear as-written?

Thanks so much,
Brandon