[texhax] Spacing with maketitle

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Wed Dec 22 19:28:22 CET 2010

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Thomas Jacobs wrote:

    I am trying to create a title block within an article and have
    struggled with the \vspace command.  I must confess I do not truly
    understand this command since it seems to work haphazardly in my
    experience.  Sometimes it seems to work if I put a blank line before
    it but that did not work in this case.  I wish to encroach on the
    white space at the top of a document to ensure I can fit a quote at
    the bottom of the page.  Can anyone direct me?  Here is most of the
    tex:

    [...]

    \begin{document}

    \vspace{-0.5in}
    \maketitle

i'm not entirely sure that this will work,
but there's one very clear problem --
\vspace is ignored/gets lost at the top of
a page.  if you want to apply space to the
top of a page, use \vspace* .
						-- bb