[texhax] dvi vs pdf

Michael Doob mdoob at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Thu Dec 2 19:50:23 CET 2010

On Thursday 02 December 2010 12:40 pm, Michael Barr wrote:

> I have one further problem with pdf.
The problem is not with pdf; it's with the viewer, of course.

> I am accustomed to compiling a file,
> previewing it, making changes and then iterate.  I cannot do that with the
> Adobe reader.  I cannot write a new pdf file while the old one is loaded.

True, but it can be done with a three-key sequence: <CTRL>W + <ALT>F + 1.
But I take your point nonetheless. It's an unnecessary pain.

> So exit the file from the reader, then compile the new version, load
> the new file, and then find your place again.  I find this intolerable.
> Someone once suggested a different pdf reader and I tried it and found it
> unsatisfactory in other ways (I no longer recall why).  I'll stick to dvi,
> thank you.

Maybe xpdf? It has a refresh feature.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Doob                    Telephone: (204) 474-9796
Department of Mathematics       Fax: (204) 474-7606
University of Manitoba          email: Michael_Doob at umanitoba.ca
Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2