[texhax] When to modify \topmargin and \textheight?

Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. LPr at pontex.cz
Mon Aug 30 15:05:09 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have problem - let's have the following code:

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}

\usepackage[cp1250]{inputenc}
\usepackage[english]{babel}
\usepackage{blindtext}

\begin{document}

   \Blindtext[8]

   \newpage
   \addtolength{\textheight}{1.in}
   \addtolength{\topmargin}{-.5in}

   \Blindtext[8]

\end{document}

This code produces pdf of four pages (pdflatex, TL2009, WinXP):

- Page 1, 2 - pages use standard (non-modified) page layout.

- Page 3 - the page content is shifted up as the \topmargin has been modified. The text height keeps the original value (?) of \textheight, like \textheight were not modified.

- Page 4 is modified by my needs, i.e. the "working" area of the page is stretched by 1 in and the top margin is shortened by 0.5 in - that's what I'm trying to achieve.

So:

- Why page #3 is not changed like #4, although the change of dimensions is declared BEFORE page 3?

- How to provide that the change of dimensions is done "in time" - it means for the page #3 for this case?

Thank you in advance.

Lukas