[texhax] Preserving dash when hyphenating compound words

hh-brasil at bol.com.br hh-brasil at bol.com.br
Mon Aug 30 13:43:53 CEST 2010

Wasn´t there once a german TeX with solutions to this and similar cases.

	texhax-request at tug.org

	texhax-owner at tug.org

than "Re: Contents of texhax digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Preserving dash when hyphenating compound words (Uwe Lueck)

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:22:18 +0200 (CEST)
From: Uwe Lueck
To: Aleksandar Zec
Cc: texhax at tug.org
Subject: Re: [texhax] Preserving dash when hyphenating compound words

Hello Alex,

Aleksandar Zec , 27.08.2010 21:41:03
>2010/8/19 Uwe Lueck :
>> \hyp or that macro it calls according to the hyphenat documentation might be redefined (about as follows) or you use some \dhyp or so instead of \hyp with
>> ? ?\newcommand{\dhyp}{\discretionary{-}{-}{-}}
>> (not tested, sorry; if it works, why use hyphenat?) cf. TeXbook on \discretionary.
>This \dhyp indeed produces intended additional dash, but it disables
>hyphenation of compound words. I actually need

you are right, I didn't think of this.

>and hyphenat's \BreakableHyphen serves this purpose. So, some
>experimenting shows that this code gives good results in all cases:
>  \ifmmode-\else\BreakableHyphen\fi}
>and electroencephalography\\
>Not very elegant, though.

I should be able to find a more elegant solution, once I studied these things -- but must do other things right now.

texhax mailing list
texhax at tug.org

End of texhax Digest, Vol 2010, Issue 329