[texhax] Preserving dash when hyphenating compound words

Aleksandar Zec zealeksanman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 21:41:03 CEST 2010

Hello Uwe,

Many thanks for the answer. (Sorry for the holiday delay in answering...)

2010/8/19 Uwe Lueck <uwe.lueck at web.de>:
> \hyp or that macro it calls according to the hyphenat documentation might be redefined (about as follows) or you use some \dhyp or so instead of \hyp with
>    \newcommand{\dhyp}{\discretionary{-}{-}{-}}
> (not tested, sorry; if it works, why use hyphenat?) cf. TeXbook on \discretionary.

This \dhyp indeed produces intended additional dash, but it disables
hyphenation of compound words. I actually need

and hyphenat's \BreakableHyphen serves this purpose. So, some
experimenting shows that this code gives good results in all cases:

and electroencephalography\\

Not very elegant, though.