[texhax] bibtex

Philipp Gesang pgesang at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Aug 18 13:07:11 CEST 2010

Hi Susan and others,

On 2010-08-17 <17:38:56>, Susan Dittmar wrote:
> like my search fu is quite bad, as I did not find any beginner's guide or
> any easy or advanced examples.

personally I'd follow the advice Paul already gave: experimenting for
yourself is the most fruitful strategy. There's no such thing as a
“LuaTeXbook”, and the luatex reference makes sense only as kind of an
“Appendix K” to Knuth.

> For a project of mine I would like to use lua if it really makes things
> easier. In this project I need
> - an index
> - a glossary
> - automatical double typesetting (done via perl script right now), same
>   text in two different fonts
I somewhat hesitated with this reply, but it almost always pays off to
have look at how Hans did it. With respect to index building the place
to start is strc-reg.*[1] which, unfortunately, heavily relies on other
context internals (such as sorting and structures). Can't tell how this
would map to a latex environment if at all. YMMV. Aren't the common
latex modules supposed to work with luatex? If so, I'd try to migrate
to luatex first and then gradually replace/add functionality with lua
code.

> At the moment I have that working using pdflatex and external programs (and
> doing the glossary completely by hand as I find it too tedious to tweak
> makeglossary to my needs).
Depends on what the glossary should look like. There was some discussion
on this topic on the context list a while ago where I posted some
makeshift “solution”[2] but again I can't tell how much of it can be
latexified.

> Do you have any hints for me where I should start if I would like to use
> lualatex instead?
If there's no lualatex wiki yet, why not start one at wikia? There
already are some hits at stackexchange[3]. Also, you might be interested
in this thread: http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/050017.html

Hope this helps a bit, Philipp

[1] http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/strc-reg.lua
    http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/strc-reg.mkiv
    (As the source browser seems quite outdated it would be reasonable
    to check against a more recent version.)

[2] http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/049187.html

[3] http://tex.stackexchange.com/search?q=lualatex