[texhax] controlling pdf reader (was Re: beamer and "Read out loud")

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Thu Apr 29 23:38:29 CEST 2010

Uwe:

> I have made a link collection
>
> http://campus.fh-worms.de/~lueck/makeshow.htm
>
> about things like the atchange program mentioned in the thread that was started here, maybe other pages (including the UK TeX FAQ) can be updated from material listed there and your ideas become more easily available to other TeX users.

Thanks.  I put links from my atchange and latex page to that.

> Tom Schneider <toms at ncifcrf.gov>, 18.04.2010 18:37:48:
> >A problem I have been unable to solve is how to get a PDF to reload to
> >the same page when the file changes.  Alternatively, I would need some
> >method to control the page of the reader
>
> A trivial answer, or a work-around for some, pointed out to me at the monthly Munich TeX meeting: use hyperref's pdfstartpage option:
>
>     http://www.tug.org/applications/hyperref/manual.html#x1-100003.6
>
> ... just increment the starting page number once in a while ...

That's interesting.  The problem is of course how to direct the PDF to
the page that corresponds to the spot I'm looking at in vim.  I can
get vim to write out the current line number, but LaTeX would have to
be involved to find the spot.

The solution with skim works very smoothly.  One does have to move
skim to the right spot, but it stays there and updates when the PDF
changes.

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  National Institutes of Health