[texhax] Regarding margin for binding in thesis

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Apr 21 22:23:40 CEST 2010

Arvind,

There is no real convention with regards to inner and outer width
dimensions. In some cases they are of equal width and in others they
vary quite remarkably (both positive and negative variances). In some
places in the world it seems there is an accepted wisdom that there
should be a positive difference (US?) and in others it seems that
there should be none or negative (Northern Europe?).

Ultimately it depends on what kind of binding method you are going to
use. For example if the book is thin and saddle stitched then you can
get away with having no difference between inner and outer margins,
whereas if it is thick and perfect bound (say a thick paper back) then
a wider inner margin is desired because the volume will not lay flat
and will be difficult for the reader push it open sufficiently to
read. If the binding is sewn and hard cover bound then a wider inner
margin is desirable but it may not be as wide as that needed for a
paper back novel. Then, if you are going to spiral bind your thesis
for marking then make certain the inner margin is going to be wide
enough to accommodate the holes that will be punched through the paper.

After several decades I have not encountered a publisher who has
required that the outer margins should be wider than the inner, but
that may be a geo-sociological issue. I am not based in western/
northern Europe and conventions there may be different. I agree that
this is counter intuitive.

I am surprised that the thesis is to be printed on two sides however.
 From what I have seen, most are printed on one side only which makes
the discussion moot since the page margins will all be the same. Then
the most important consideration becomes how much margin space to
allow for markers' comments.

In your case, I don't know what stage you are at. That is why I made
the additional observations.

Alan

On 22/04/2010, at 5:12 AM, Arvind wrote:

> Oops - i used 'reply', rather than 'reply all'. Resending the mail to
> the group now.
>
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Torsten Wagner
> <torsten.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> However, my impression was that with the twoside option, the
>>> geometry
>>> package would give different left and right margins for odd and even
>>> numbered pages. You are saying it should give the same margin for
>>> both
>>> pages. But it seems to be doing neither. What i am getting is a