[texhax] ntheorem[amsthm] and amsthm discrepancy

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Tue Apr 20 16:13:47 CEST 2010

Victor Ivrii wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:
>> Victor Ivrii wrote:

>>> OK, I found solution (not sure if it is the best one as it is
>>> modification of something found over internet); other solution is just
>>> to hack ntheorem (in two lines)
>>>
>>> \renewtheoremstyle{definition}%
>>> {\item[\hskip\labelsep \bfseries{##1 ##2}]}%
>>> {\item[\hskip\labelsep \bfseries{##1 ##2}: {##3} ]}
>>> \theoremstyle{definition}
>>> \theorembodyfont{\upshape}
>>>

>>> Victor
>>>
>> but why do you need \thereomstyle{definition}?
>>
>> the output is the same as
>>
>> \theoremstyle{plain}
>> \theorembodyfont{\upshape}
>> \theoremheadfont{\bfseries}
>
> \theoremheaderfont
>

> Yes - without [amsthm] switch but the latter throws a monkey wrench
> into this. Probably it would be better just to remove it and redefine
> {proof}
>

> Victor
>> --
>>
>> /daleif

proof is the same as

\theoremsymbol{\enspace\ensuremath{\square}}
\theoremstyle{nonumberplain}
\theoremheaderfont{\normalfont\itshape}
\theorembodyfont{\normalfont}
\newtheorem{proof}{Proof}

good idea to supplement it with

\theoremstyle{empty}
\newtheorem{proofof}{}

then

\begin{proofof}[Proof of theorem~\ref{thm:3}]

is the same as

\begin{proof}[Proof of theorem~\ref{thm:3}] in amsthm

--

/daleif