[texhax] How to getnonfreefonts?

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Apr 15 12:56:54 CEST 2010

Am Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:34:33 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Brandon Kuczenski:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Sorry to ask a question that seems to come up frequently, but the font
> system does seem to be robust against easy explanation.
>
> I was overjoyed to see the invention of 'getnonfreefonts' as a way to
> automate the installation of some common [though undistributable] fonts.
> I seem to remember being awestruck by its simplicity of use when I used it
> in the past to install arial-urw.
>
> However, this morning, on my up-to-date texlive system, I tried to install
> garamond with: getnonfreefonts garamond;  it went through all the
> motions, downloaded and extracted the files, ran updmap and so on, and
> completed without errors.  But when building a LaTeX document, with
> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ugm}, dvips outputs a lot of lines like:
>
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ugmr8r.

> what am I missing?

Something did go wrong at the updmap-step. The map hasn't been
enabled properly. The most frequent cause of this problem is using
sometimes updmap  and sometimes updmap-sys which leds to two sets of
map-files and dvips is using one while you are updating the other.

Try at first your font with pdflatex: It tells you at the end of the
log-file  the path of the map file it is using. You can then compare
this path with the path given by updmap(-sys) used together with the
option --verbose.

When it works with pdflatex but not with dvips the map-file itself
is probably faulty (dvips is more picky).

--
Ulrike Fischer