[texhax] TeX to text?

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Wed Apr 14 21:41:22 CEST 2010

Hi,

thank to all for your answers.
To make myself more clearer:
• I am using Xe/LuaTeX, so dvi is no option for me.
• I am looking for a TeX only solution. No special script or editor, it
should really be stand-alone.

Therefore:

Torsten Wagner wrote:
> Hi Arno,
> here are my quick thoughts
> 1. there are plenty tex2text converters of different ages, technology,
> authors and status...

Well, sure there are – would have been strange if not so. But I wonder
wether one of them will fit my needs.

> 2. latex2html... there are even more html2txt converter....

Not exactly what I need, but I think this gets closest.

> 3. many pdf-reader can export to txt...

But the result might be questionable. Furthermore, it cannot be adjusted.

> 4. A very different but my most favourite way: Use emacs+org-mode.
>    org-mode allows you to outline, organize and write your text without
> any LaTeX. This text can be finally exported to LaTeX, HTML oder simple
> Text. org-mode uses a very simple wiki like markup, is very nice with
> huge feature set to organize your work (the original task of org-mode)
> and it is all you need if you have not to rely heavily on LaTeX
> functions. Thus, if you use emacs already give org-mode a try...

I’m not using emacs, so not an option, too.
Thanks for your suggestions, though, they helped me a lot!

cheers
Arno