[texhax] Getting TexLive 2009

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Apr 9 04:33:36 CEST 2010

On 8 April 2010 hh-brasil at bol.com.br wrote:

 > With all respects, yours is not the only place in the world where
 > internet lines are slow.  I got TeXlive downloaded (on my island
 > with a max transfer rate of 33000 Bits/second) in 13 hours (one
 > night).

Sure, but the network installer allows you to download only the
packages you actually need.  If you are not a macro programmer, you
don't need the sources.  And unless you speak Chinese, Japanese, or
Korean, you don't need the CJK package, and so on.  TeX Live supports
zillions of languages.  You can disable language supoprt for all
languages you don't understand.

I'm sure that you can install a customized TeX Live within less than
two hours even with your slow internet line.

 > Or become a member of one of the user groups (Gutenberg in
 > France?) and you get it as part of your membership.

Becoming a member of a TeX user group is always a good idea.  But
please keep in mind that this is often unaffordable.  I was twice in
Vietnam and I know that for Vietnamese a TUG membership is extremely
expensive.

Marschnerstr. 25