[texhax] Unpacking *.iso.lzma texlive file

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Wed Sep 23 16:41:07 CEST 2009

G B Evans wrote:
> Sir
> I downloaded this file, approx 1.2GB form my local CTAN server, but am
> unable to unpack it. I am a Windows Xp user and I found the instructions
> minimal for doing this. It suggests downloading various lzma tools from
> the web but nothing about what you do with them.
> Are you able to help please or at least point me in the right direction.
> Regards
> Gordon Evans

I assume that you definitely need the iso file, and can't simply use the
installer (which is easier to use, overall). If you only want to install
on one PC with an internet connection, use the installer rather than the
"packed" version. (Get it from http://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html#net,
if that is appropriate for you.)

To unpack the file, I'd use 7-zip. You can get it from www.7zip.org, or
get a "portable" version from portableapps.com. The later does not need
to be installed, so can be used as a one-off then "thrown away".

In 7-Zip, you should be able to open the file then extract it (using the
Extract button) to create an .iso file. This is then suitable to be
burned to a CD. The easiest tool for this on Windows in ImgBurn
(www.imgburn.com). You will need a blank DVD (+ writer) to use this, of
course.

Hope this makes some sense.
-- Joseph Wright