[texhax] Newbie Question: (La)TeX Good Choice for Data Collection Forms in PDF?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 9 06:29:56 CEST 2009

On 9/09/2009, at 3:37 AM, Jack Ort wrote:

> Hello!  I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this
> question, but I have been frantically searching for information on
> TeX and LaTex, and whether or not it would be a good choice for
> designing data collection forms.  Specifically these would be
> clinical Case Report Forms (CRFs), where patient data such as vital
> signs, laboratory results, etc. would need to be collected across
> multiple clinic visits.  Typically these forms will have groups of
> empty boxes (with labels) for manual entry, questions with Yes/No
> checkboxes, lines for capturing free-text comments, and often
> tabular data entry sections as well.
>
> Ideally, forms could be stored in a "library" for reuse and
> modification as needed.
>
> Eventually these forms need to go to PDF, either for printing or
> for conversion to a data entry screen for a web-based data
> collection system.
>
> We are considering Framemaker, but the cost and learning curve are
> steep!  If it is relevant, would be using a Windows XP system to
> run whatever package we choose.
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Basically you can do *anything* in LaTeX.  You might have to fiddle
around a bit at
first, especially if you are new to LaTeX, but what you want to do
can be done without
great sweat.

Once you get a template built, it should be very easy to modify and
adapt it.

Producing pdf files from LaTeX input is essentially automatic.

I don't know from doing things under Windoze myself, but I know that
a lot
of people use MikTex under Windoze and are very happy with it.

Keep Lamport's book *on your desk* when you're working with LaTeX, at
least
initially.  You can't intuit how to do things; you have to look them up
(and eventually remember).

There is of course a learning curve with LaTeX; how difficult you
find it depends
on your personal proclivities and ``where you're coming from''.
Personally
I found it virtually instantaneous to learn, but OTOH I cannot learn
to do ***anything***
with (eeeyeuchhh!) Word, even with a gun held at my head.

LaTeX has the big advantage of being toadally free.  There are lots
of online sources
of info and tutorials.  Like anything, you have know a bit about what
you're looking
for before these resources do you much good.  There is also this very
helpful mailing
list --- but it is mainly useful for precisely posed problems.  A
question like ``how
do I build a Case Report Form?'' is probably too broad and vague to
illicit much in
the way of useful responses.  OTOH someone out there might have
already built such
a form and would be willing to send you the *.tex file to give you
something to work
from.

Another advantage of LaTeX is that you have the recipe for building
the form you want;
the *.tex file ***is*** the recipe.  There is no question of
wondering ``how did they
do that?''  The how is written down.

Bottom line, if you've got to climb a learning curve, it might as
well be the LaTeX
learning curve.

	cheers,

		Rolf Turner

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com