[texhax] Newbie Question: (La)TeX Good Choice for Data Collection Forms in PDF?

Jack Ort JOrt at ResearchPoint.com
Tue Sep 8 17:37:13 CEST 2009

Hello!  I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I
have been frantically searching for information on TeX and LaTex, and
whether or not it would be a good choice for designing data collection
forms.  Specifically these would be clinical Case Report Forms (CRFs),
where patient data such as vital signs, laboratory results, etc. would
need to be collected across multiple clinic visits.  Typically these forms
will have groups of empty boxes (with labels) for manual entry, questions
with Yes/No checkboxes, lines for capturing free-text comments, and often
tabular data entry sections as well.

Ideally, forms could be stored in a "library" for reuse and modification
as needed.

Eventually these forms need to go to PDF, either for printing or for
conversion to a data entry screen for a web-based data collection system.

We are considering Framemaker, but the cost and learning curve are steep!
If it is relevant, would be using a Windows XP system to run whatever
package we choose.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Best regards,
-Jack

*************************************
www.ResearchPoint.com

This electronic communication in its entirety may contain privileged and
confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee
named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination,
distribution, copying or other use of this message and/or attachment(s) of
this communication, is strictly prohibited.   If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying
to this communication or by telephone at (512) 343-1092 and destroy this
communication in its entirety.