[texhax] page number on the first page of the index

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Sep 8 15:43:38 CEST 2009

Uwe Lück wrote:

> Finding books on bookshelves with missing folio on starting pages of
> chapters is not so difficult. E.g., an old LaTeX Companion of this kind
> is lying near me. Hey, even its Index ...!
>
> After looking up the page number in the TOC, a reader needs page numbers
> to see whether to turn forwards or backwards. When the starting page of
> a chapter or index is found, the title serves for confirming that the
> reader found what she looked for. Some personality disorder may be
> needed for still looking for the folio, wondering "Is this really the
> same index I was looking for?"

A personality disorder ?  From my perspective, the concept of
omitting page numbers on opening chapter pages is insane.  If
every opening chapter/section/whatever page number is omitted,
the table of contents becomes a farce, since :

a) No page number that appears in the T-O-C can be found on an actual page
b) No page number that appears on an actual page can be found in the T-O-C

What is this lunacy ?

Philip Taylor