[texhax] Plain Tex

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Oct 30 22:43:43 CET 2009

On Sunday 27 September 2009 12:38:10 Kelly wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam:
> I have tried to learn TeX on my own through Knuth's book, and
am writing
> stuff using a MikTex implementation on Windows Vista.
> I would like to continue using plain TeX instead of LaTeX.
> Is it possible to use color, include photos, and hyperlinks in my
pdf files
> using plain TeX instead of LaTeX?
> If so can you recommend a simple explanatory source to me,
who knows little
> else than what is in the Knuth book.
> Sincerely,
>   Kelly McKennon
pdftex has useful extensions to the plain tex format but almost all
of plain tex still works. For my work I use pdftex plus eplain.tex. I
just don't like LaTeX.

Books I have on plain tex that are less heavy than The TeXBook
include "TeX for the Impatient" (Abrahams et al.) and "A Beginners
book of TeX"  (Seroul & Levy).  Try Amazon Marketplace for either.
I think "...Impatient" is still available in pdf form also.

And of course do not neglect the oldie but goodie "A Gentle
Introduction to TeX". With permission I have posted a pdf of this
classic on my website:

John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"