[texhax] Difficulty with using PCTeX to compile a .txt file in Unicode

Phoebus J. Dhrymes pjd1 at columbia.edu
Fri Oct 23 18:41:59 CEST 2009

Dear Sir/Madam:

Recently, I have developed a way to make typing a TeX style document
relatively easy.
I did that by using the facility Autocorrect in Microsoft
WORD.

This allows me to write the command for say an integral with both upper and
lower limit by simply typing (in WORD) int; or alpha by typing a2, or beta
by typing b2, or prime by typing  pr etc. When you do that in WORD the
augmented Autocorrect facility will type in the document \int or \alpha, or
\beta  or \prime etc.
When the typing of TeX style file  is completed I use the Save As command in
WORD. But the options
I am offered do not allow me to use this file in PCTeX to produce a dvi or
pdf  file.

The only version I see in the Save As dialog box, that preserves the
appearance of the file, and which I have used,  is Unicode, which lists the
file as xxx.txt.

However, when I try to use this file on PCTeX I see on screen  a file all of
whose entries are nulled and the program cannot use it to produce dvi or
pdf..
Is there a solution to this problem? It seems there must be.
Thank you
P.J. Dhrymes.

P.S. I attach a small file produced as I have explained, typed on WORD and
saved as Unicode.

Phoebus J. Dhrymes
Edwin W. Rickert Professor of Economics
Columbia University