[texhax] placing text in boxes

hh hh-brasil at bol.com.br
Thu Oct 22 02:32:26 CEST 2009

There is a french package "boites" which could be redefined to the
wanted effect(s). Not perfect but for your purpose probably quite
useful.
But if you don't read french, keep away.

\usepackage{framed} is some kind of solution, as you noticed.  How to
keep the boxes from spreading - try \clearpage at the end of the
page.  But of course, if you have a lot of boxes and a long book, you
have a lot of try and error.

The clever use of  \enlargethispage{n\baselineskip}   (n might even
be negative) might give useful results.

hh