[texhax] ?encoding? suffices in the TeX Live Adobe font TFMs

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Oct 20 22:45:14 CEST 2009

On 20 October 2009 Philip TAYLOR wrote:

 > Ah, that is interesting : I know nothing about "psfonts.map"
 > and had been intending to use virtual fonts; is it the case
 > that I would not need virtual fonts, PdfTeX being able to
 > re-map fonts on the fly based on information in "psfonts.map" ?

Hi Phil,
"psfonts.map" is described in the dvips manual.  pdfTeX uses its own
map file, "pdftex.map", described in the pdfTeX manual.  Both files
are quite similar.  However, don't edit these files, they are created
automatically by updmap[-sys].

I don't know what you intend, but if you change the font encoding, you
almost always have to create a new tfm file.  At least unless you are
talking about monospaced fonts.

BTW, if you are using pdfTeX, you can use the primitive \pdfmapline
instead of creating map files.

If you need assistance, the tex-fonts mailing list is certainly a good
place to ask.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25