[texhax] ?encoding? suffices in the TeX Live Adobe font TFMs

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Oct 20 10:33:57 CEST 2009

Karl Berry wrote:
>     I see (for example) 7t, 8c, 8r, 8t, 8y and
>
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/fontname/html/Variants.html
> It is certainly far from perfect or complete or authoritative, but it
> is [all] I can point you at today.

Fine, thanks Karl : a very useful document.

> There are no links to .enc or .etx files for these in the document,
> although I believe some exist, in particular font packages (Latin
> Modern, Inconsolata).  I know that is vague and imprecise but it's what
> I have to offer.  Sorry.

That doesn't matter : I suspect such files would work
only with LaTeX, and what I am looking for is sufficient
information to update my PS-Fonts suite (unpublished,
last updated 1994, based on the ArborText names, TFM
files and driver) to be useable with PdfTeX under TeX Live.
PS-Fonts is intended for use with Plain TeX, or even with
IniTeX with a little additional work.

> Everyone makes their own decisions, so nothing is authoritative.
> That's the reality.

Er, yes : why is it that the word "anarchy" springs unbidden to mind ?!

** Phil.