[texhax] help with identifying some macros

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Oct 16 10:28:05 CEST 2009

Barbara Beeton wrote: (and Barbara is never wrong)

> hope that makes sense.  this is plain tex,
> *very* plain tex.

but is it ?  On trying to compile it, I am told

	! Undefined control sequence.
	l.2     \[

which rather met my expectations.  So what /is/ it,
I am forced to ask ?!

Philip Taylor

P.S. I /was/ going to say that it would be far more
comprehensible if greater attention had been paid
to layout, but if -- as I suspect -- Paul Stanley
is using a speech synthesiser to examine the material,
then I am not sure that better layout would help.