[texhax] letter-spacing TUGboat alarum

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Thu Oct 15 23:00:58 CEST 2009

At 18:21 14.10.09, William Adams wrote:
>On Oct 14, 2009, at 5:19 AM, Uwe Lück wrote:
>
>>Please tell me more about spacing/letter-spacing ...
>
>Books on calligraphy cover this best IMO. A good type treatment though
>is Walter Tracy's wonderful _Letters of Credit_
>
>David Kindersley had some interesting writings on it however, as well
>as a nifty machine / algorithm (LOGOS).

Thanks a lot, William! I will tell the publishers they should read this. So
I get letter-spacing info although the posting was about kerning.

Actually, there is just

     C H A P T E R  1

`\kern0.25em' manually inserted. I professional designer I asked said it
looks bad, at least with cmr at 16pt. It seems to look better with Adobe
Caslon.

Cheers,

     Uwe.