[texhax] \lettrine in \everypar?

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Sat Nov 21 19:24:44 CET 2009

I’m trying to use \lettrine in every paragraph in my document. (Normally
not a good idea, indeed, but here I really want it.) Now this should be
set automatically. So I tried to say

hoping that now the first letter of every paragraph would be set as big
letter and the second one as a normal-sized capital letter. However, I get a

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>

Ok, to make the things easier, I tried to use a fixed letter and said

This causes a bad

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [parameter stack size=10000].
\KV@@sp at b  #1 \@nil ->
                      \KV@@sp at c #1

Now I don’t understand the problem and have no idea how to solve it. I
tried to \def a wrapper macro that would avoid these problems, but never
got it running.
Is there any possibility to use \lettrine in \everypar? Or has anybody a
better way to achive a \lettrine at the beginning of every paragraph?

Minimal example: