[texhax] pdftex warning with hyperlinks

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Nov 11 16:19:15 CET 2009

Am Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:59:10 +0000 schrieb Philip TAYLOR:

>>> pdfTeX warning (dest): name{Hfootnote.80} has been referenced
>>> but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

>> Looks like somewhere in your document you are using (referring to) a
>> cross-reference labeled Hfootnote.80, but you never define (create)
>> it.  It's possible that you just misspelled the label (Hfootnote.80).
>
> This may well be the case in this instance, but I do believe
> that similar message are sometimes issued without overt user error.
> In the Porphtrogenitus Lexicon, for example, I am invariably told :
>
>> Chapter 1.
>> (./Introduction.texpdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier
>> (name{page.1}) has been already used, duplicate ignored
>> <to be read again>
>>                    \relax
>
> yet there is no mention of "page.1" in my source, nor
> do I explicitly meddle with TeX's page numbering.

You are confusing two different messages. The first is "name(XY) has
been referenced but does not exist". The second is "name (XY) has
been already used".

The first type can happen easily if you change your document, e.g.
remove a section. E.g run this, comment one section and run again:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\begin{document}
\section{a}

\section{b}
\end{document}

Like "missing \labels" messages more runs will correct the auxiliary
files, the message will disappear in the third run.

Your message is more serious. It means that from the point of
hyperref you have two pages with the number one. You can reproduce
it with this example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\begin{document}
\label{a}\pageref{a}
\newpage
\pagenumbering{arabic}
\label{b}\pageref{b}
\end{document}

How to correct is depends on how you are actually getting two pages
1.

--
Ulrike Fischer