[texhax] Invisible appendix

Dan Hatton vi5u0-texhax at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 28 17:30:36 CEST 2009

Dear All,

Imagine that I have a LaTeX file something like the one appended
below.  Also imagine that (at least on some runs) I don't want the
appendix to appear in the DVI (or postscript, or PDF, or whatever)
output.  Or, even better, for the appendix to appear in a separate PDF
or postscript file from the main body of the document.  But I do still
want the two \ref{}s to work.  Is there some way to do this, please?

(So far, I've been chopping up the finished output with pstops - but
now the publisher needs the LaTeX source, and I'm not sure I can rely
on them having access to pstops.)

\title{A summary of some horrendously detailed work}

\section{Keep it snappy}

Here, I summarize some work.  Anyone brave enough to read the details
can look at supplementary online material \ref{heretheyare}, which
contains figure \ref{pictureofit}.

\section{Don't keep it snappy [intended as supplementary online material]}

Now I'll go on in lots and lots and lots of detail.
Not really a picture
\caption{Here's a picture.}