[texhax] memoir page head confusion

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue May 26 18:55:51 CEST 2009

Peter Seibel wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
>> You probably need a \leavevmode ...
>
> Yup. That fixes it too. Though I still wonder why it's necessary--why
> would the left side of the header be in vertical mode while the right
> side is in horizontal mode.

Pass :-).  By the way, regarding your earlier "idea for finding good
page breaks", \vskip with the same glue does exactly what you want.
Suppose that each \vskip is of the form

	\vskip 2\baselineskip plus 1\baselineskip minus 1\baselineskip

then on each page, each will contribute at most [*] 3 \baselineskip
and at least 1 \baselineskip, all will contribute exactly the same
amount, but the amount contributed on page $n$ will be independent
of the amount contributed on page $m$.

Philip Taylor

[*] Actually it can contribute more, /in extremis/.