[texhax] memoir page head confusion

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Tue May 26 08:05:15 CEST 2009

I've got these two definitions in a document I'm typesetting with the
memoir class:

  \makeevenhead{headings}{\headlinefont\llap{\thepage\hskip 6pt} \leftmark}{}{}
  \makeoddhead{headings}{}{}{\headlinefont\rightmark\rlap{\hskip 6pt\thepage}}

For some reason the even head ends up with the page number lapped out
correctly but then the rest of the heading gets moved down a bit so
it's not in line with the page head. If I fill in the center and right
parts of the even head they are in the same line as the \leftmark text
(i.e. a bit below the line of the page number.)

The odd head works fine with the rightmark in line with the
right-lapped page number.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

-Peter

--