[texhax] Ubuntu Linux

Tim McKenzie tjm1983 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 01:33:03 CEST 2009

On Monday 25 May 2009 10:31:29 Randy Schilling wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I am getting ready to install Ubuntu Linux on my PC but before I
> do I want to make sure there is a version of TeX that will work
> under Ubuntu.
>
> Would you please point me in the right direction, maybe a website
> from which I can download TeX to Ubuntu?

Once you've installed Ubuntu, you can ask its own package manager to install
texlive for you. You might also want to ask it to install texlive-latex-extra
(which I needed for comment.sty, for example).

In general, if you want to install something on Ubuntu, the package manager is
a good place to look, because you can be reasonably sure that the version it
provides has been tested with the rest of Ubuntu. I think Synaptic is still
the default graphical user interface for Ubuntu's package manager.

Tim
<><