[texhax] including graphics/graphicx

David Ripley dripley at email.unc.edu
Thu May 7 23:31:21 CEST 2009

Good morning!

I'm having some trouble getting graphics.sty to work. When I try to
include it (or graphicx, which calls it), I get the following error:

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
l.29 \catcode`\^^A

I tried getting a fresh version of the package, but I get the same
error. It seems to happen whether I call graphics or graphicx (the line
getting errored is in graphics.sty), and whether I call them with or
without the [pdftex] option (I'm using pdftex). For what it's worth, I
have no trouble with the beamer class, which is calling these packages
on its own. I get this problem with article, report, and book classes
(all I've tried). I'm running teTeX through TeXShop on a mac with os
10.3.9. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!