[texhax] GFS Porson polytonic keymap?

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Thu May 7 03:21:10 CEST 2009

Peter King wrote:

>On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 03:09:09PM +0200, Erik Norvelle wrote:
>>It may be that the codes for GFS Porson are like those for the Teubner
>>package, which is what I used prior to switching to Unicode Porson.
>>The manual for Teubner is here:
>The manual suggests a LaTeX macro for entering rough/smooth breathing on
>the circumflex. It doesn't seem to work in GFS Porson -- there isn't any
>macro defined in porson.fd or porson.sty to do the work that's done in
A true Porson oughtn't to produce a tilde in any case.  The tilde is a
Didot form of
perispomene, and one of the distinguishing marks of Porson is the simple
cap for perispomene (based on Porson's own handwriting.)

Post-positive sequences for polytonic Greek are far from dead.  Look at
Thessalonica for Open Office.  (disclosure --- the Ibycus sequencing is
my contribution.)
I continue to use sequences (which just happen to fit into 7-bit ASCII)
because my aging
memory can't keep up with the all the ALT CTL FUNC key chordal fingering
you need for
getting eight bits out of a normal keyboard.

Pierre MacKay