[texhax] European quotation marks

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Tue May 5 20:21:14 CEST 2009

awishnia at notes.cc.sunysb.edu wrote:

> I hate to prolong this discussion, but while Team LaTeX may be totally
> guilt free in all matters, and not responsible for the
> guillemets-guillemots mixup, they are never irresponsible.
> Arnold Wishnia
> P.S.  I have this nagging desire to see quotations surrounded by
> guillemites, the friars who used to hang around Notre Dame des
> Blancs-Manteaux.

I am sorry to give up Rowley's sly suggestion that LaTeX is
irresponsible, but I suppose I must.

METAFONT challenge:  Produce a design of paired Guillemites for very
occasional display use.  There are some good starting designs
in reliefs of monks and friars engaged in activities such as

Pierre MacKay