[texhax] LaTeX : Section opening recto, verso blank

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Sun Mar 15 15:19:32 CET 2009

1. At 10:43 15.03.09, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>Uwe Lück wrote:
>>According to my understanding of titlesec, you want to have sections of
>>titlesec class "page" (like standard \part), not "top" (like standard
>>\chapter). With such a declaration, you needn't care any more about
>>\clear... Actually, \cleardoublepage skips the next page if it is even
>>(\if at twoside), so there is no need for an extra algorithm deciding
>>whether to \clearpage or to \cleardoublepage.
>
>Thank you, Uwe : as far as I can see, "page" not
>only generates an "opening chapter style" page
>(which I don't want, for sections) but it also
>doesn't solve the problem of a section finishing
>verso -- the next section starts recto on the
>same spread (sample attached).

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood `counterpart', and I overlooked the explanations
`finished verso' and `two blank pages':

At 11:09 14.03.09, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:
>Dear Colleagues -- For a forthcoming book, I would
>like opening section pages to invariably have a
>blank verso counterpart.
[...]
>I would be very grateful if anyone could suggest how
>this could best be achieved without manually inserting
>\clearpage or \cleardoublepage commands (i.e., I would
>like the code to determine algorithmically if the previous
>section has finished verso, and if so, to leave two blank
>pages).

I understood `counterpart' as `verso of starting folio' (cf. thread
identifier). And when I started the present reply, I thought `counterpart'
meant `end of the same section'. OK, I am sticking to `counterpart' as
`opposite page'.

At 10:43 15.03.09, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>% (1) Make blank pages really REALLY blank
>
>\let \LaTeXcleardoublepage = \cleardoublepage
>
>\def \cleardoublepage
>     {%
>         \clearpage
>         \begingroup
>             \columnseprule = 0 pt
>             \pagestyle {empty}%
>             \LaTeXcleardoublepage
>         \endgroup
>     }

So just add \null right before \LaTeXcleardoublepage.

1b. To get the "empty indeed" variant of \cleardoublepage, titlesec offers
option `clearempty'. There also is package `emptypage' to the same effect
without titlesec. But you are right, both packages miss \columnseprule =
0pt (maybe because \columnseprule = 0pt is standard anyway).

1c. One might want to keep the "weak" \cleardoublepage for "subsections"
and give a new name to your variant, e.g. \cleardoublepageskiponepage (but
this conflicts with my proposal below).

2. At 10:43 15.03.09, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>Thank you, Uwe : as far as I can see, "page" not
>only generates an "opening chapter style" page
>(which I don't want, for sections)

The thread identifier and

At 11:09 14.03.09, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:
>and sections have been designated as being of
>class "top" (titlesec) in order to force them
>to start recto.

still indicate that you want to have chapter style for sections. And I
recommend the "top" designation indeed:

3. At 10:43 15.03.09, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>% (2) Extra "cleardoublepage" for section
>
>\def \Section #1
>     {
>      \cleardoublepage
>      \def \sectiontype {#1}
>      \section [\sectiontype]{\this \sectiontype}
>      \input Byz-#1.dat
>     }
>
>(3) Titleclass declaration
>
>\titleclass \section {page}

It seems to me that I understand titlesec better here than you, although I
didn't know what it does until yesterday.

With

     \titleclass{\section}{top}

you don't need \cleardoublepage in \Section, because this \titleclass
declaration makes \section execute \doubleclearpage! Seen from code and
tested! This is what \titleclass has been made for!
This was the heart of my previous message:

At 08:47 15.03.09, Uwe Lück wrote:
>With such a declaration, you needn't care any more about \clear...

(where I skipped the "empty" matter because it hadn't been raised yet).

-- Uwe.