[texhax] \binom

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Mon Mar 2 09:09:02 CET 2009

What puzzled me when I started using TeX in the early eighties, were
the commands \cup and \cap (symbols I called "union" and
"intersection"); everytime I used them I had to spend a few seconds
visualizing in my mind a cup (= coupe) and a cap (= chapeau) to figure
out which one I should choose. I could never use them naturally... Are
they called like that in oral mathematics in the Anglosaxon world?

On the other hand, I had no difficulties in learning \hat because in
French we also say "chapeau" for the circumflex (in mathematics).

Le 1 mars 09 à 23:55, C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk a écrit :

> There is no definition of what mathematical expression any bit of TeX
> 'denotes'.

| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0) |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0) |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| Télécom
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest Cedex 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
                                           has not yet reached the

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen